In honor of National Dairy Month, here are five more reasons to love milk:
1. It’s a Nutrient Powerhouse. Milk is the top food source for three out of the four nutrients Americans are most lacking – including calcium, vitamin D and potassium. All milk – including fat free, lowfat or organic – has 9 essential nutrients, including B vitamins for energy, vitamin A for a healthy immune system plus several bone-building nutrients.
2. It Ups the Protein Ante in the Morning. While many experts now recommend 25-30 grams of protein at each meal, the average breakfast plate only contains 13 grams. Add an 8 oz. glass of milk to your eggs or Greek yogurt and get an extra 8 grams of high-quality protein!
3. It is not Easily Replaced. It’s hard to get the nutrients you need without real dairy milk in your diet. Dairy milk has 8 times the protein of almond milk and rice milks, which can contain a long list of ingredients, including added sugar, salt and thickeners.
4. Protein Power for Your Dollar. Milk is one of the best protein bargains for your dollar. For about 25 cents per glass, milk packs 8 grams of protein in every 8 ounce glass. This calculates to around 32 grams of high-quality protein per dollar! That’s a big protein bang for your buck.
5. It’s Wholesome, Real and Local. Did you know 97 percent of dairy farms are still family-owned and operated? Little handling is done from farm to fridge – and that’s why you can trust the milk you buy at the store is safe and wholesome.
Information from MilkPEP