With the end of 2013 drawing to a close at midnight, I thought I would share my favorite 13 food/kitchen products of 2013. It was difficult to slim the list down to only 13, but here they are (in no particular order).
1. Seventh Generation Disinfectant Sanitizer I love a clean kitchen, but don’t want all the toxic chemicals that are in most disinfecting sprays. This spray kills 99.9% of household germs but uses thyme oil as the active ingredient instead of a harsh chemical. Clean and healthy!
2. Kuhn Rikon Paring Knives. These have been my go-to knives since I received them in my stocking from Santa a couple years ago. They are sharp, comfortable to use and I love that they come with a protective sheeth to prevent dulling and to make it easy to pack up and carry (You would be surprised how many times I travel with a knife!). 🙂
3. Pacific Naturals Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup. I don’t know who loves this soup more, my husband or me! Everytime we are meal planning and we mention having soup and sandwich, he quickly adds this to the schedule before we change our minds. It is traditional tomato soup with a little something extra.
4. La Tortilla Factory Corn Tortillas The ONLY tortilla we use when we make our Fish Tacos. They have the taste of a corn tortilla, but because they add wheat gluten, they are soft and delicious. What are you waiting for? Go get some!
5. Siggi’s Skyr. An Icelandic-style yogurt with less sugar than most other yogurts. This yogurt is thick, creamy and so delicious. I love the vanilla flavor which uses REAL vanilla beans (you can even see the small black flecks).
6. Dole Chopped Salad Kits. I love a good salad, but typically fall into a routine of lettuce, tomatoes, carrots and feta (which I thoroughly enjoy). However, eating the same-old salad week after week gets a bit boring. Enter the Dole Chopped Salad Kits. These little gems are packed with lettuce, cabbage, kale and other veggies which you top with their included add-ins and dressings. My daughter is a big fan of these too.
7. Ojai Pixie Tangerines. These delicous, “sparkly” tangerines are unlike any other citrus you have ever tasted. They are a spring citrus available starting in March and something I look forward to each year. My mouth is watering just thinking about them. Hurry up March! This RD wants Ojai Tangerines.
8. Lentils- These protein- and fiber-packed legumes are a perfect meat substitute for this busy, working mom. Unlike other dried beans, lentils cook up in about 20-25 minutes and don’t require pre-soaking. Try them in our family favorite Lentil Tacos. You’ll find dried lentils by the other dried beans (typically near the soups or Mexican section).
9. Homemade laundry soap: I have been making my own laundry soap for a couple years now and really don’t know if I will ever go back to the “other” stuff. It gets my kids’ clothes clean and the “runner’s smell” out of my husband’s workout gear. Plus, it is inexpensive and so much better for the environment. It uses equal parts Borax, Washing Soda and Fels Naptha. (look for a future blog post on how-to).
10. Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes My go-to tomato of choice. The fire-roasted taste adds a bit of sweetness and a touch of smokey flavor.
11. Kleenex Ultra Soft Tissues. I’ll keep this short. With 4 frequent-nose-blowers in my house, quality tissues are key. The Kleenex Ultra Soft tissues are soft, thick and strong. The only tissues I buy. (Ask my husband, I have sent him back to the store to exchange for the “right” ones!)
12. Hennings Cheese. I. Love. Cheese! Hennings cheeses never disappoint. My favorite is their cheddar, but the Creamy Caramel with tart apples is a close second. This is great quality cheese made with real ingredients.
13. Green & Black’s 70% Dark Chocolate. This chocolate is AMAZING! If you are a fan of rich and smooth dark chocolate, this is a must-try. Not overly sweet, but not bitter either. I have a small piece of this chocolate most days. It is my 5-minute vacation every day. Is it chocolate time yet?
Full Disclosure. These are my opinions only. I did not receive any product or payment from these companies. These just happen to be products I love and find myself smiling over. I hope you enjoy them too!