10 reasons to LOVE dairy.
1. Calcium – Dairy is probably best known for its calcium, which helps to build and maintain healthy bones and teeth.
2. Vitamin D – Also known as the sunshine vitamin, vitamin D is one of the nutrients Americans lack the most. It helps promote the absorption of calcium and enhances bone strength. But beyond bone health, science is discovering just how important this little guy is. Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to heart disease, Seasonal Affective Disorder, cancers, stroke and maybe more. Pouring a glass will get you 25% of the RDA.
3. Protein – A glass of milk provides 8 grams of muscle-building protein. Protein builds and repairs muscle tissue and serves as a source of energy during high-powered endurance exercise. Protein is essential for every function your body carries out. Because you can’t make all of the amino acids (protein building blocks) you need, eating protein-rich foods helps you get the ones you can’t make on your own.
4. B-vitamins – Milk is a great source of several key b-vitamins often lacking in our diets.
- Vitamin B12 helps build red blood cells that carry oxygen from the lungs to working muscles. .
- Riboflavin helps convert food into energy – a process crucial for exercising muscles.
- Niacin is important for the normal function of many enzymes in the body, and is involved in the metabolism of sugars and fatty acids.
5. Cheese – I love cheese! It is probably one of the foods I would have the hardest time giving up if I had to. And with only about 100 calories per serving and 7 grams of protein, you don’t have to feel guilty anymore!
6. Recovery – After a vigourous workout, your body is “hungry” for carbohydrates and protein. Chocolate milk has the perfect ratio (plus hydration) of carbs and protein (specifically whey protein) to help refuel your body and give it what it needs. You don’t want to work your butt off for nothing!
7. Hydration – Water isn’t the only way to get your fluid in each day. Milk is a whopping 87% water. Still pounding sports drinks after a tough workout? You’re behind the science times. Milk, thanks to its natural balance of sodium, carbohydrate and protein, helps the body retain fluid, researchers report in the journal Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, making it an effective recovery drink for exercisers.
8. Milk mustache – Like suspenders and bow ties, I love a good mustache. So when my little ones drink their milk a little too quicly, or eat their yogurt a little too aggressively and walk away with an adorable milk mustache, my heart nearly swoons!
9. Milk is a local food! It takes only 48 hours to get milk from the farm to your table.
10. It is convenient and delicious – I’ve often talked about how I’m efficient not lazy, and dairy fits this mantra. If I’m needing a little pick-me-up, yogurt, string cheese, or even a glass of milk are common choices. So the next time you’re feeling a little snacky, go ahead, reach for your favorite dairy good!
The reasons to love dairy don’t end here. Check out more from Midwest Dairy Council.