Calling all chocolate lovers! Get ready for the next best thing to heaven.
My husband and I have been making this decadent treat on Valentine’s Day since the first year we were married. (ahhhhh…..)
We have always enjoyed cooking together (that is actually how we spent most of our date nights when we were high school sweethearts) and holidays are no exception.
So today I share with you our “naughty” Valentine’s Day treat.
Note: the only “good-for-you part of this dessert is the indulgent vacation you take while eating.
The ingredients are simple: Chocolate, eggs, butter, sugar, vanilla and cream. (I told you it was heavenly!)
In a double boiler, melt 1.5 pounds (24 oz) bittersweet chocolate and 3 sticks (12 oz) unsalted butter.
If you don’t have a double boiler, use a glass bowl on top of a pot of water.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine 9 eggs (yes, 9, that’s not a typo), 1 cup sugar, and 1 tbsp vanilla extract. Whip on high until pale yellow and tripled in volume.
Having cute egg-crackers always helps!
Pour batter into the prepared pan and place in a water bath. (Which is a fancy term for putting your spring form pan into a larger pan and adding water.)
Cover loosely with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20 minutes more. Check that the center temperature is above 145 degrees. If not, place in oven for up to 10 more minutes.
Chill cake well. For topping (yes friends, there’s more deliciousness), bring 1 cup heavy whipping cream to a boil. Pour over 6 oz bittersweet chocolate to melt. Stir until combined and pour over cake, covering completely.
Chill again. This cake takes patience to make and is best to make 1-2 days before eating. When serving, error on the small side. A tiny sliver is more than enough.
After trying this recipe, you can send notes of appreciation and gratitude directly to me. Haha!
Bittersweet Chocolate Truffle Cake
All you need:
30 oz bittersweet chocolate, divided
3 sticks (12 oz) unsalted butter
1 cup white sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1. In a double boiler, melt 1.5 pounds (24 oz) bittersweet chocolate and 3 sticks (12 oz) unsalted butter.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine 9 eggs, 1 cup sugar, and 1 tbsp vanilla extract. Whip on high until pale yellow and tripled in volume.
3. Fold together chocolate and egg mixtures.
4. Line the bottom of a 10-inch spring form pan with parchment paper and wrap the outside tightly with aluminum foil.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan and place in a water bath. Cover loosely with foil. Bake for 20 minutes then remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes.
6. Chill cake well. Bring 1 cup heavy cream to a boil. Pour over 6 oz bittersweet chocolate. Stir until melted and combined. Pour over cake, covering completely. Chill again.