To wrap up Crocktober, I made one of my go-to recipes. Pork and Black Bean Slow Cooker Chili. This recipe is great for several reasons.
1. It is made in the slow cooker (thanks, “Kate“).
2. It cooks for 8+ hours (practical for a weekday meal).
3. I always have the ingredients on hand (and they are nutritious)- hey, I AM a dietitian…
4. It is an excuse to make my mother-in-law’s delicious corn bread (recipe in a future post).
5. Everyone in my family loves it!
You can’t get much better than that.
To your 5-6 quart crock pot, add a 2-3 pound pork roast and 3 cans of beans. Any variety will do. I typically add black beans, but today I only had 2 cans on hand so I threw in 1 can of kidney beans. Make sure to rinse and drain your beans. *Health note: rinsing and draining your beans lowers the salt by 40%!
Add 1 jar of thick and chunky salsa and 1 cup chicken broth. I love the convenience (and taste) of the 1-cup packages of Pacific Natural Foods chicken broth. Canned broth tastes… well… like a can. And I don’t typically use a full quart of broth that is in the larger boxed broths. So the 1-cup size is perfect.
Before serving break up the roast into coarse pieces and dish into bowls. Top with plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream). I was so excited for this chili (and the golden-brown corn bread), that I forgot to take a photo of the completed dish. So you’ll have to use your imagination.
Imagine a steaming bowl of chili filled with chunks of fork-tender pork, beans, fire-roasted tomatoes and delicious spices, all topped with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt. Mmmmmm….. Now dip your hot-from-the-oven cornbread into the fragrant mix. Heavenly!
Pork and Black Bean Slow Cooker Chili
All you need:
2-3 pound pork roast
1 onion, coarsely chopped
3 (15 oz) cans beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can fire roasted, diced tomatoes
1 (16 oz) jar thick and chunky salsa
1 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
Plain Greek yogurt (for serving)
All you do:
1. Put pork, onion, beans, tomatoes, salsa, broth, oregano, cumin and chili powder into slow cooker.
2. Mix ingredients together and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.
3. Right before serving, take pork out and break into chunks. Put the pork back in the chili.
4. Serve in bowls and top with plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream).